Wednesday, September 30, 2009

A little bit of everything - Sep 30 2009

My main consulting contract has been very busy. We've been working on a capital project that needed to be in place on Sep 30. Anything that could go wrong, went wrong. Wrong computers, wrong hard drive controller cards, wrong cables for those controller cards, incomplete test beds of existing infrastructure, on and on.

I ordered a Fujitsu S1500 scanner. I almost went with the cheaper S300, but decided that I really needed the Fujitsu driver/engine that is thoroughly tested in Linux. I plan to use it with gscan2pdf. I'll probably post something later about trying to go paperless in business and personal paperwork.

We just got jared spruced up. The page at sourceforge needs spruced up now. Jared now supports "db" records which according to Tim at Sentinal Chicken was introduced in the registry hive format with XP. I've seen one "db" record in the "software" hive. It's just not that common to have strings that are larger than 16K. But it sure confuses Windows if you screw up any record.

I relearned everything I forgot since I last used Cinelerra. I'm trying to make videos for the srcbin Loader. I'm making progress and will probably have a 20 minute full demo, 3 minute infomercial, and 1 minute commercial.

I highly recommend Cabot's Deck Stain which is available at Lowe's. (Behr has given me nothing but trouble, check DIY forums for details) We tried Cabot's a few days ago and it's wonderful. I recommend a mix of atleast 1:1 clear to color. 2:1 would really show off your wood. One gallon will do 500 sqft.

No comments:

Post a Comment